vendredi 14 mars 2014
BUILD GREAT TEAM
We all know that teams achieve more than individuals, here I provide my views on how this can be best achieved. Its not a definitive list and following will not guarantee success, team work involves a sprinkling of fairy dust which only you know if you can muster, there is a simple reason not all teams perform, not all people are compatible, but you can give your team the best chance to succeed.
- No team succeeds without an objective, its the one consistent, teams achieve success when each individual can maximise there own potential in achieving the same goal. A team is the outcome of a collaboration of individuals performing towards a single aim this is where the view that a high performing team of average people will always beat a low performing team of high performing individuals.
- its the most important ingredient, get rid of any superstars with wrong attitude, there is no way to fix it. Teams are all about the collective effect. Some people who excel in some areas make poor team players, this is fine, you still want them in your company. Just not in your perfect team.
- all companies have mission statements, principles and codes of conducts. I like to create these in teams, it creates identity and can align with the corporate identity. At the beginning of big projects or deals, as a team set the rules, culture and principles you want to work together in. Aligning the expectations and mode of working makes a huge difference.
- seems obvious, but a wining teams tends to keep winning, avoid tying everything to a single objective, set mini wins. Make a list of all the things you want to achieve to enable that big objective and have a bit of a celebration when you tick off each milestone on the journey to the main end goal.
- Lots of tools out there from the change Index, Myers Briggs to help assess the mix of your team. You don't want a team full of high change index as all they will do is constantly move goals and reassess objectives - nothing will get done - having a balance enables you to get the best out of your changers and challengers but with the stable influence of
The nirvana of the perfect team is always being strived for but hopefully these tips get you just that little bit closer.